Wednesday, February 3, 2010









"We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment." George Eliot

A good friend of mine, Sue Checchio, gave me a copy of the book, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Sein. The reader comes to know the story through the eyes (and narration) of the dog. He speaks to us throughout the story, he makes us laugh, he makes us cry, but more than that, he makes us believe that dogs can talk. So now when I look in Holly's eyes, or I hear her bark I wonder what really is going on in her mind and what she is really trying to say.

Marina, our friend in Marblehead and co- lover of St. Bernards (Matilda is Holly's best buddy) insists that when they spend the weekend together they gossip about all the other dogs in town. So what is one to think when one reads that some of the apartment dwellers in NYC are having their dogs
"de-barked" ! (NYTimes article, 2/3/2010 Heel. Sit. Whisper. Good Dog by Sam Dolnick).

It broke my heart to read this article and know that several Veterinary surgeons perform this procedure! Oh, they still make 'raspy squeaks' as the article continues....I was heart broken to think that people would allow themselves to do this. I know, what it is like to have a dog in an apartment. I bought my first St. Bernard when I was 19 and along with my little precious mutt, Noiseless. (Oh yes, he could bark, but he never really did unless I was threatened by something or someone.), we lived in a studio apartment (oh, the tails I can share with you!!!! Someday!). But my dogs, were trained...yes, people... training can work. OK, maybe some dogs, not, but DON"T BUY THAT BREED IF YOU ARE LIVING IN MANHATTAN!!!!). Poor Nestle, the subject of the article, he looked so violated and for sure he has been. Shame on you owners and more so, VETS...in your crates, now...SIT, ROLLOVER, BEG for forgiveness from these devoted creatures...it was just a thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment