Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Christmas Cottage


"Old Age is like everything else, to make a success of it, you have to start young." Fred Astaire

...just a thought
I wanted to share a bit of my first Christmas at my antique cottage. ( Photo right is the river stone fireplace in the living room. Above, more living room shots.Additional photos to follow, too!)

Just at the end of our renovations, the holidays approached and Christmas at the Cottage was on track.

Heather and her family purchased our 1763 antique farmhouse this past year...new traditions for that home began the instant the kids chose their bedrooms! New life has been infused in that grand old home.

For me, it was time to down size. Why would I do that at the height of my Real Estate career? Well, when I am truly old (no I am not there yet - my Dad is 92 and I expect to reach or surpass this fine age, myself), I want to be debt free, own lots of income properties, and feel safe from 'the storms' life rolls in.

It is hard to believe that we spend most of our waking hours setting goals, working hard to make enough money to 'move up', buying bigger houses, more furniture...you know, we all do it.

I am not sure exactly how old I was when the quiet whispers of old age began to creep into my brain. Was it when I had my first aching back? When my dad decided to stop driving his car? When I looked in the mirror and saw my mother and grandmother's faces staring back at me?

I am really not sure, but when the littlest of hints started 'screaming' in my ear, I figured I needed a plan! And so once again, I changed the direction of my life, developed a plan, and began forecasting my next move!

I found an endearing little cottage that was owned by the most engaging family. And as luck would have it, they were ready to move, too. So there I stood, captivated by this enchanting cottage...and I bought it. Now, two years later, we are in, loving it and everyday I wonder why I ever needed anything bigger than this miniature house. There is a place for everything and everything has its place.

I have nicknamed it The Christmas Cottage, simply because I am perpetually in a state of happiness, everyday of the year!!!

At the beginning finding a little antique cottage was just a thought...today it is a reality.

Believe in things and they will materialize. Make a plan, then work the plan, and you will find yourself exactly where you want to be, doing exactly what you want to be doing....it was just a thought.


































































No comments:

Post a Comment